Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Playing Pretend and Cuddling with Mommy
I love it when God whispers parenting advice into our ears. I realized today that when I read to all the girls as a bunch, although good and fun, one girl ends up feeling less cuddled by me or one girl distracts the other. So today I tried picking out one book special for each girl and reading to them each individually wrapped up on my lap or in my arms. It was comforting to me as well to feel their little bodies calm and rest a bit with me while the other girls played on the floor next to us. I still will be doing group cuddle and reading times, but I think individual one on one read with mommy time is going to be added to the schedule a little more often. I used to actually schedule in what I called "Eye Contact Time" with each girl whether it was reading or playing or just sitting and talking. No multi-tasking/folding laundry/cooking/editing while I talk to you time, but actually stopping everything and just listening, looking, talking, and playing with you time. I've kinda dropped the bomb on that with them recently, but I'm excited to bring it back and really schedule in time with each daughter individually everyday. I haven't blogged about it yet, but we've been experimenting with keeping the girls TV free. I think we've been doing it for maybe 3 months now? Now we don't have a TV in the first place, but we do have a laptop with YouTube and the free version of Hulu (and up till a few months ago we had Netflix as well). The girls enjoyed watching shows when I let them and before and during Claira's birth I believe I kinda let them get a little addicted as I will admit I used it as a babysitter quite a bit when I was too tired. At first it wasn't really set in my mind (nor did I even mention it to Daniel at first) to keep the girls from watching anything, but rather was just interested in seeing if I could keep them from asking for any shows by entertaining them with pretend, toys, games, and school. It really didn't take long at all till I wasn't even hearing about TV shows anymore. Playing pretend Dora and Boots or pretend Blues Clues became playing pretend Poky Little Puppies (one of the golden books), Mommy and Daddy, Midwife and Patient, Abby and Dion's, Deanne and Eanon or Misha :o) and so on. I can't even remember the last time they've asked for a show, when their little bodies wake up, instead of coming to me to ask for Dora, they just run out to the playroom and start playing. I have felt healthier too in the process. Now I will admit Daniel and I still do enjoy watching our "Parenthood" and my corny "Emily Owens" on Hulu when they come out or an encouraging Duggars or goofy Cake Boss on You Tube when people post them, and I love that HGTV has most of their shows available online, so we aren't totally against TV or anything, I just am realizing our girls' brains are sponges right now at this age and would we rather them soak up silly songs from Dora that don't really have any purpose in their life (now I do admit they were learning Spanish, but I think I can teach them the amount they were learning) or teach them songs with moral lessons and Bible verses as they interact with us their parents to learn life lessons. I feel more comfortable with the second option. Plus, I have noticed how quickly it seems little girls are trying to grow up these days and trying to be sluts (to be blunt) and be just like the girls on TV they see thinking that's how it's to be. I don't know if girls are more prone to try and grow up quick and be flirty like other girls or if boys struggle with that too, but it would be awesome to not have so much pressure on our girls if at all possible. Not saying they won't come across it, but why not try and help. Now when we do plan a special movie night or showing of their old friend Dora it is a special new treat and they still love it. I'm not sure where our TV free will lead us or even if it will stay forever, but so far it's been an exciting experiment for sure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment